Cream Of Broccoli Soup
Simple and Healthy- Cream of Broccoli Soup
There is a reason soups are mandatory while serving a three-course meal. They are extremely light, full of nutrients and delicious.
Many people don’t share a good relationship with boiled or raw veggies especially the green ones.
However, we cannot deny the fact that these vegetables are rich in nutrients and are an essential element of a balanced diet.
Therefore, combining them in a soup is a great option as it is fulfilling and manages to retain the nutrients while providing a satisfying taste.
There are different varieties of soups for every cuisine and they hold an important place in every household as well as restaurants.
Today, I’ll be sharing with you a super easy recipe of Cream of Broccoli Soup.
How to make Cream of Broccoli soup?
I add all my ingredients in one pot and prefer to cook and simmer it in the same.
This soup is super creamy and rich in texture. However, it contains very little cream and I use vegetables to thicken its. This avoids unnecessary fats and at the same time I don’t have to compromise on the texture I promise to my family.
- 200-250 grams broccoli
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder/ grated nutmeg
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups full-fat whole milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- All-purpose flour/blended sweet corn.
- Crushed black pepper
- Salt as per taste.
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
Total Time – 45 minutes
Now, let’s start preparing them:
Blanching broccoli florets-
- Chop the broccoli into florets.
- Boil enough water in a pot and add ¼ tbsp salt.
- Switch off the flame and add broccoli florets.
- Drain the florets after 15-20 seconds. Reserve a few of it for garnish.
(This is done to get rid of any insects present inside the broccoli.)
Making the Cream of Broccoli Soup-
- Heat butter in a pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté till they turn golden brown.
- Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Then add the drained broccoli and vegetable stock.
- Stir well and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Simmer for about 6 to 7 minutes or till the broccoli cooks well and tender.
- In the meantime, heat the milk. (Don’t boil just heat it a little).
- When the soup mixture is slightly warm, transfer it to a jar and blend it with a hand blender until smooth.
- Pour the pureed soup back into the saucepan and keep it on a low flame.
- Add the hot milk and stir it well.
- Heat the soup gently and don’t give it a boil.
- Season with oregano, salt, crushed black pepper, and nutmeg powder.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls and garnish with broccoli florets.
Some Important Tips
I avoid adding cream to my soup to make it healthy. However, you can add it if you want. It will enhance the taste of the soup.
Blend the soup mixture properly. Make sure there are no solid particles left.
You can add a few veggies or chicken to your soup mixture if you wish.
Cook this Cream of Broccoli soup on a low flame to allow the flavors to mix.
This recipe will keep nicely in the fridge for 4-5 days. However, if you are looking to freeze this soup, make sure to let it cool down completely before freezing and store it in an airtight container.
Lastly, don’t skip the blanching step as it is necessary to ensure that your broccoli is free of insects and safe to consume.
Why should you try this soup?
My family and I aren’t broccoli lovers. We pick it out from our pastas and lasagna in restaurants and order pizzas without broccoli as a topping.
One day, we visited a relative who made us try this Cream of Broccoli soup. The best part is they didn’t tell us the name of the soup or that it contained broccoli.
Everybody in my family loved the soup and I refilled my bowl as well. It was that good.
To our surprise, my relative revealed the name of the soup during dessert conversations and we were completely blank. We were in awe at how she made the soup using broccoli as the main ingredient and it tasted so good.
I took the recipe from her and decided to cook a healthier version for my family.
This soup is so creamy, flavorful, simple, and delicious and is sure to make you lick your bowl to the last drop.
Broccoli is known for the high content of Vitamin C, Vitamin k, iron, and Potassium. It also boasts more protein than most other vegetables.
You can roast, boil, grill, and do anything with Broccoli. However, if this is not the most loved vegetable in your house, you can disguise it in the form of a soup and at the same time retain all nutrients.
This is one more reason out of many others to try this soup.
I hope you loved this recipe. Please share your feedback in the comments section.