Arroz con leche: A Delicious Rice Pudding
Arroz con leche, known as rice pudding in English, is a traditional dessert in many Latin American countries. It is typically made with rice, milk, sugar and some vanilla or cinnamon. Its texture is soft and creamy and it has a sweet and delicious flavor that not only children but adults also love.
Preparing arroz con leche is easy and straightforward. Rice must be cooked with milk and sugar until creamy, and then some vanilla or cinnamon (or both!) are added for an extra flavor. Sometimes raisins or other dry fruits can be added for extra flavor and texture.
This delicious rice pudding is a wonderful dessert but it can also be served as a breakfast or even as a snack. It is very easy to make and can be enjoyed warm or cold. It is great to serve at parties or gatherings as it is a very versatile dish.
Arroz con leche is the perfect comfort food. The combination of rice, milk, sugar and some other sweet and tasty ingredients is so comforting and delicious. It is something that will make you feel warm and cozy and will surely bring back fond memories of your childhood.
Whether you decide to serve it for dessert or a snack, arroz con leche is sure to please. It is a delicious and comforting dish that everyone will enjoy.
A worldwide known dessert
Arroz con leche is a worldwide known and loved pudding. Every region has its own version of it, from Spain to Mexico, from South America to the Caribbean. Even in the Southeast Asia region there are rice puddings made with similar recipes, and in some cases topped with local fruits.
The traditional version of arroz con leche is simple yet delicious, but there are many other ways to make it. You can add different flavors and textures to it, such as coconut, almonds, pineapple, lemon zest or even chocolate chips, depending on whether you’re more of a citrus- or a sweet-taste person.
This rice pudding is the perfect way to end any meal, or for a sweet afternoon snack. It is such a comforting and delicious dish that everyone can enjoy it even as a breakfast in a cold morning!.
The secret of success: use the best ingredients
The key to making a delicious arroz con leche is to use the best ingredients. The quality of the milk, that should be whole milk for a creamier blend, and the rice will make a big difference to the final result.
Many people opt to add a bit of heavy cream or condensed milk for a richer and creamier pudding. This will give the arroz con leche an extra creamy texture and flavor.
This pudding is pretty easy to make once you get the hang of it. With the right ingredients and the best arroz con leche recipe, you will be able to prepare a delicious and comforting pudding that everyone in your family will be pleased to enjoy.
Try this recipe for a creamy rice pudding
What you’ll need
- 1 cup of long-grain white rice (Jasmine or Basmati are perfect, but any white rice will do the trick).
- 2 cups of whole milk.
- ¼ cup of sugar.
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
How to prepare it
- In a saucepan, combine the rice with the milk, add the sugar, and cinnamon. Bring it all to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking, until the rice is tender and the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- You may serve it warm or put it in the fridge to enjoy chilled.
- Some people use to add small cinnamon sticks besides sprinkling some cinnamon powder when cooking the arroz con leche.
- Lemon zest, if you decide to put some, should be added on top at serving time.
- For a somewhat different look and flavor, you may try topping it with some sliced apples or bananas, toasted pecans, coconut flakes, raisins, fresh berries or even chocolate chips.
- Arroz con leche can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 or 5 days in an airtight container. It is best to keep it alone and add any toppings at the time of serving.
- It is not recommended to freeze this rice pudding, as its flavor and texture could be affected. However, if you decide to keep any leftover rice pudding in the freezer, put it in an airtight container and try not to keep it for more than 2 months.